Tangy Yumbini Bake with Mashed Turnips and Potatoes
- 1 3.5oz pkg Yumbini Cowboy BBQ Pinto Beans and Rice
- 10-14 Small Mushrooms cremini or white button
- 3 Medium Sized Turnips with greens
- 3 Small potatoes or one large
- 2 tsp Cooking oil such as olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar or to taste
- 1 Tbsp Butter or vegan butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare Yumbini with 3/4 cup water according to package directions. Set aside.
- Rinse and trim turnips (no need to peel), and cut in quarters. Reserve greens.
- Rinse and trim potatoes (no need to peel), and cut in quarters. (You should have roughly the same amount of potatoes as turnips.
- Place turnips and potatoes in a medium sized pot and cover with water. Heat over high heat until boiling. Reduce heat and boil, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- While the turnips and potatoes are boiling, rinse mushrooms and slice.
- Rinse turnip greens and chop into 1" pieces.
- Heat oil in a stainless, carbon steel or cast iron skillet.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until most of the water has evaporated and they are lightly browned.
- Add turnip greens and cook quickly, just until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add Yumbini and vinegar to taste. If you like ketchup, you can throw some of that in too.
- Spread the Yumbini, mushroom, and turnip greens mixture in the bottom of a 9" X 9" baking dish.
- Drain the boiled turnips and potatoes and return to the pot. Add butter and mash coarsely with a potato masher. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Spread mashed turnips and potatoes over the Yumbini mixture and bake 10-15 minutes at 400F until heated through.
- Serve with fruit salad!