Taku Taku Style Fried Yumbini
Taku Taku is a Peruvian dish where beans and rice are mixed together and fried, either as individual patties or one large one. Our Mild & Creamy Red Beans and Rice works perfectly! In addition to vegetables, you can top with a fried egg.
- 1 3.5 oz pkg Yumbini Mild & Creamy Red Beans and Rice
- 1-2 Tbsp Cooking Oil olive oil or other
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cabbage or crisp lettuce
- 1 Tbsp Grated Carrot optional
- 1 Tbsp Red Bell Pepper, sliced very thinly optional
- 1 Tbsp Red or Yellow Onion, sliced thinly optional
- Tangy Hot Sauce or Vinegar optional
- Parsley or Cilantro for garnish optional
- Prepare Yumbini Mild & Creamy Red Beans and Rice using 3/4 cup water according to package directions. Stir and allow to cool completely. Put it in the refrigerator or freezer to speed up the cooling if needed.
- While the Yumbini is cooling, thinly slice and/or shred the cabbage and other vegetables.
- When the Yumbini is completely cool, form into two large patties.
- Heat the oil in a large flat frying pan, over medium high heat. Using a spatula, transfer the patties to the pan. Fry over medium heat until dark brown and crispy on the outside.
- Carefully flip the patties over and fry on the other side.
- Slide the patties onto a plate and garnish with vegetables and hot sauce or vinegar if desired. If the patties break, just piece them back together – they will still taste great. And don't leave behind the yummy little crispy bits of rice and beans in the pan! Enjoy!