Acorn Squash with Curried Lentils
- 1 Acorn Squash whole
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1-3.5oz pkg Yumbini Curried Turmeric Lentils and Rice
- 2 Tbsp Dried Fruit (apple, mango, raisin, dried cherry) OR: 1/2 fresh apple or pear
- 2 Tbsp Chopped walnuts or cashews
- 1 Tbsp Butter or vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Microwave the Acorn Squash 1-2 minutes on high to soften slightly so easier to cut.
- Cut Squash in half with a sharp knife. (Note: if it is still too hard to cut, microwave for another minute.)
- Scrape out the seeds and pulp. Rub cooking oil on the cut edges.
- Place the two halves of squash, cut side down, on a flat baking pan.
- Bake at 450 F for 20 minutes or until the squash is soft when poked with a fork.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the Yumbini according to package directions and set aside.
- If using dried fruit, place it in a small bowl of water to plump up.
- If using fresh apple or pear, chop into small pieces. Eat the other pear or apple half as an appetizer.
- Chop the nuts.
- If using dried fruit, drain off the water and discard. Stir together the Yumbini, fruit and nuts.
- When the squash is soft, remove from oven and flip "cup side" up. Fill the Yumbini mixture into the squash, pressing down and mounding it up in the center.
- Top each Yumbini-filled squash half with a very thin slice (1/2 Tbsp) of butter.
- Return to the oven and bake another 10 minutes, until hot and butter has melted.
- To eat, scoop the Yumbini and squash out of the "bowl" made of the squash skin. (The skin is edible but probably pretty tough!)
- Serve with a green salad. You and your meal-mate will be stuffed!