For my birthday, a friend gave me flowers in this cool jar. I knew it would be perfect for a Lovely Layered Yumbini masterpiece. You can make one too!
Lovely Layered Lunch
Try making in a mason jar for your next picnic or lunch at the office.
- 1-3.5oz pkg Yumbini Instant Beans and Rice any flavor
- 1/2 cup Salad Greens
- 3 Colorful vegetables, chopped or grated carrot, tomato, bell pepper, green onion, cucumber
- Tart or sweet ingredient (chopped) Fresh, frozen or dried fruit, pickles; optional
- Crisp or crunchy ingredient Nuts or seeds, chips, croutons; optional
- Cheese cubes or grated; optional
- "Juicy", wet or liquid ingredient Salad dressing, vinaigrette, unsweetened yogurt, sour cream, chutney, salsa, BBQ sauce, ketchup; optional
- Choose a suitable jar (or two) for your layered lunch. You want a wide mouth and straight sides. Canning jars work great. One package of Yumbini makes enough for one 2-2½ cup (16 oz canning) jar or two 1+ cup (8 oz canning) jars.
- Prepare Yumbini with 3/4 cup water according to package directions. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- While the Yumbini is cooling, collect and prepare your toppings. You will need the salad greens, plus enough for two more layers ending with the "juicy" layer on top. Consider combining two complementary colored ingredients in the same layer.
- Place the salad greens in the bottom of the jar.
- Divide the cooked Yumbini into three equal portions. Put one portion into the jar on top of the greens. Spread it out in an even layer. Tap the jar gently on the countertop to settle ingredients evenly in the jar. HINT: use a towel to wipe the inner sides of the jar so the layers look pretty.
- Add a layer of your toppings. Try to arrange them so the "pretty" side faces the outside of the jar.
- Add another layer of Yumbini, followed by more toppings.
- Add the remaining Yumbini.
- Top carefully with the "juicy" layer.
- Garnish the top as desired. Serve immediately or keep, refrigerated, for up to one day. If taking on a picnic, be sure to fill to the very top and screw the cap on tightly. Eat within three hours of taking out of refrigerator.
- Prepare for your friends to be impressed!