Irish Fried Cabbage with Beans
Did you know that Corned Beef and Cabbage is not traditional Irish food? It was adopted by Irish immigrants to the US. But fried cabbage is a traditional dish. It often contains bacon, but here is a vegan version. Even better, a typical Irish breakfast includes baked beans so we put those flavors together for a perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner! (Okay not a lot of rice in Ireland, but it tastes good anyway!)
- 1-3.5 oz pkg Yumbini Cowboy BBQ Pinto Beans and Rice made with 3/4 cup water according to directions
- 1 cup Cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil or butter or bacon fat
- Black Pepper to taste
- Prepare the Yumbini Cowboy BBQ Pinto Beans and Rice using 3/4 cup water according to package directions. Set aside.
- While the Yumbini is cooking and cooling, chop the cabbage.
- Chop the onion.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a stainless steel or carbon steel frying pan. Add cabbage and onions. Sautee, stirring frequently until onions are translucent and cabbage is wilted. It doesn't take long: 2-3 minutes.
- Serve fried cabbage on a plate with the Yumbini or mix everything together. Add black pepper as desired. Enjoy! And may you have the good luck of the Irish!